top of page

Alan Brown

Alan J Brown

Alan J. Brown was one of the leading lights of the Forces Postal History Society for some 40 years, having held the position of both President and Vice-President during some of those years.

He would seek out the unusual for his collection that was amassed over 50 years. He was deeply involved with the FPHS having been editor of the FPHS Newsletter from 1961-1991, and auctioneer from 1962 until his death on August 7th, 1996. Alan will be sadly missed by his philatelic and other friends.

He worked part-time as the book manager at Vera Trinder Ltd. in London where many philatelists met him.

It is with deepest regret that we have to inform you of the death of our President and one of the earliest members Alan J. Brown at the age of 80. Alan was with us in the early days when we used to meet at the Imperial War Museum, in the 1960s. He was always one of our most enthusiastic members and a mine of information. With interest in WWI and WWII particularly in the campaigns of India and Africa, he was always willing to share his knowledge with others.

Alan served our Society well throughout his membership with many articles for the Newsletter, the Editorship of the Newsletter up to the Autumn edition of 1991 when reluctantly he had to give it up. For a long time he has ran the Society Auction as well as being Editor and was still our Auctioneer when he died at home on 6th August 1996 in his sleep.

I co-operated closely with Alan for nearly 20 years on drawings and illustrations and inserting electronic stencil cut-outs onto the typed was stencils which Alan would pass to me, at last this tedious business was eliminated at a stroke by the Society's new photocopier, though I missed our long and regular relationship.

Alan was wholly involved in books and printing and came from a family who published hard backed children's books and paper backs in the 1930/50s, retiring when the business was sold. He then took charge of the Collectors book department at Vera Trinder's establishment for which he was ideally suited and remained there until he was struck down by an uncommon lung complaint. The last year or so, for most of the time, he was confined to his home at Wimbledon. This all followed the worrying long illness at home of his wife Kat and her later death. Life treated Alan harshly over the last years of his life, though never once did I hear him complain.

We have lost a good friend who will be sadly missed and our sympathy goes out to his family in their sorrow.

George Crabb


Related Posts


bottom of page